I was you-tubing around watching old physics lectures from the 60s (I must be a real dork) and I ran into this video. If you have never heard of Richard Feynman, you can either click on his name and visit the wikipedia page or just be happy of knowing that he was a big shot American physicist, won the Nobel prize in 1965, is famous for a series of lectures in physics he gave in 1961 at Caltech, and was a quite annoying mysoginist. In the field, he is a myth. They even made a movie about him.
But this is not the point: watch the video, and please do comment (don't let it go like the Foucault-Chomsky videos: I was very hearbroken that no one liked them). I think I lot could be taken out of it and it is quite coherent with what we discussed last time in the tutorial.
Sunday, 16 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to accomplish." -Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
You missed out the 'n' Fabio!
What is interesting is that this chap went on to indulge in his own rather psuedo-scientific construction of a far off land, and the noble nomadic people that live there, creating the myth of Tannu Tuva. Indeed, as he states in his own words, 'I know what it means to know something....but I don't know the world very well.'
Thanks to you Richard we can all know one far off corner of it that little bit better!
James (in a state of exasperation)
Oops, typo corrected :)
I think his name says it all...
What is is like to know what to know means?
Post a Comment