Wednesday, 24 December 2008

My Story



PART ONE
-Am I clear?
-[dismissive] Yeah, don’t worry she’ll never find out. I’m a good actor. You know, I’ll put up the ‘prince of Darkness’ face. That one always works.
-No no, I don’t worry about that. She might be pretty, but poor girl she’s not the sharpest tool in the box, if you know what I mean. Probably that comes from her father. She’ll fall into it shoes and all.
-[muttering] Not the sharpest tool? That’s an understatement...
-Whatever, you said you want her no? Go and get her.
-Will do, but remember your part. Everyone must believe you are seriously crushed, especially that old fool of your brother.
-That bastard would be our brother. And yes, I’m a pretty good liar, don’t you think you are the only one. I’ll make up Greek tragedy, then I’ll disappear. There will be famine and death. I’m sick and tired of playing the fertility charm.
-Well you’d better be good. That’s a dangerous game we are playing. If Zeus finds out that we intentionally toyed around with the welfare of humans to achieve your goal, he’s going to fucking nail us. You know how he likes his order.
-[enraged] Oh screw the humans. Was it for me, I’d exterminate those maggots. And if there is any way to upset that pig, I’ll do that: he never really paid for what he did to me. And it is not my goal. We have a deal darling: you take away that unbearable daughter of mine in your dark cave for a while and I promise you famine and death. I got my freedom, you got new minions to serve you and a girl to screw. I think it’s pretty fair.
-Fine, whatever. So, let me know when she’ll go out, and make sure to send her in that corn field. I cannot be bothered...
-As i said, tomorrow at 5.
-...to look around too much. I don’t enjoy sunlight.
-Yeah, I can see that. You are pale as a corpse.
[silence]
-Alright, I’ll call you again when all is done Demeter. [walks away]
-[spiteful] Don’t screw this up Pluto.


INTERLUDE 1

-I think something is going on. Pluto and Demeter have met in secret.
-[disinterested] Really? Amazing...
-They might be plotting something. I just can’t figure out what.
-[yawning] Well don’t push yourself to much darling, you are getting old...
-Fuck you Hera.
-Fuck you too Zeus.
END OF INTERLUDE 1



INTERLUDE 2

2-Father, I’ve seen Pluto luring a girl in his cave. I’ve seen him seducing her. I’ve seen him convincing her to eat some fruit.
1-Oh Jesus,you know that those Greek gods really have no imagination at all...
3-You are right. I should go and tell them that this is our story.
2-But who comes first?
1-I do of course.
2-No I meant myth-wise...
3-Isn’t the truth that we are supposed to come all together? Me circulating between you two?
1-What is the truth?
2-Dad, please, that sentence gives me the stigmata.
END OF INTERLUDE 2



PART TWO
-Where is she?
-Your inbred daughter is where she is supposed to be: in my chamber, asleep. She took those pills.
-Well done Pluto. Is she hurt?
-I didn’t even touch her. She actually looked happy... I told you I am good with words – when it comes to lie. Did you talk with someone?
-[arrogant] What do you think Einstein? No. The only person I’ve seen in the last day is that crackpot of Hekate. She helped me ‘looking around for my daughter’. Fool.
-[smiling] She’s more insightful that you would give her credit for. What did you call me? Ain’tstain?
-Nevermind, that still has to come.
- ...anyway, Zeus will intervene now. I’ve been summoned to see him.
-What are you going to tell him?
-We’ll stick with the plan: I want to marry her, keep her forever...
-[smiling]He’ll be tempted to say yes, I’m sure, just to piss me off. But he’ll have to also find a way to make me go back to work. His humans are too important. Who will worship him if they are unhappy and hungry? He’ll put up the I’m-the-wise-father-of-the-gods face and he’ll call me and he’ll try to find a compromise. I bet he cannot even spell that.
-Well, be happy. That’s what we planned. Your daughter is useful after all...
-Indeed.


OUT OF PLACE
-Grandma? Why doesn’t Demeter love her daughter?
-Sweetie, because this is just a myth of course. Its not true. Nothing like this ever happens in real life. Anyway, the point here was to explain why the winter that follows the summer...
-...but they told us in school that’s because of the Earth’s axis is tilted! Plus, Pluto is not a person. It’s not even a planet!
-Oh well. You are right. Back in my days it was a planet (and Mickey Mouse’s dog) and I guess that back in the days of the Greeks it was a God. Which one it really is? It’s just a word anyway. That being the case, I might as well throw this old book away. Goodnight dear.

No comments: