Saturday, 21 March 2009

Why I told the story the way I did...

The tale brought me back to my childhood reminding me of what it is like to be a small human being and what it is like to listen and not understand and try and make sense out of things that seem impossible to grasp. I chose to re-tell the story by drawing it. It seemed appropriate, as if it was not leaving a trace of me as much as it would have, had I written. The freeness of expression was tempting to me and not using written words was tempting. The childlike drawings, as drawn by my boyfriend, seemed right for what I was trying to express - the pending sense of reluctance to say what is felt. Perhaps drawing was my disguise. Perhaps also it was saying that sometimes words can be inadequate. I wanted to make the story anonymous and free for interpretation to others. I added a poem to the drawings by Ivor Cutler. The poem to me is about a journey and although so short, for me it expresses so much about what a journey is like. What I grasped from the Demeter and Persephone myth was exactly that - a sense of a journey into the unknown, a transition through from a place known to a place unknown, and the amnesia-like state along the way, a state of incapability to sense the movement as it happens, a state of incapacity to know oneself...

No comments: